MANUEL NEUER was Germany’s hero and reached the semi-finals of Euro 2016 by beating Italy 6-5 on penalties shoot-out.
The Bayern Munich keeper made two crucial saves in the shoot-out after the game had ended 1-1 after 90 minutes.
That goal came after Mesut Ozil had put the Germans ahead, but the Arsenal star was one of seven players to miss during the shoot- out.
Italy did not flinch but were grateful for a moment of madness from Germany defender Jerome Boateng when he needlessly handled, allowing Leonardo Bonucci to score the first penalty of his career with 12 minutes left.
Germany missed more penalties in one shootout than in their history – three – but were once again the winners on penalties.
It was a night of high drama and meant Germany have finally beaten Italy in tournament football for the first time in nine attempts.
The opening hour was largely forgettable, with both sides playing a chess-like tactical game and determined not to concede first.
They have still never lost a shootout since the 1976 final of this competition when they lost to Czechoslovakia – some 40 years and 13 days ago.
- Hector scores! Italy 5-6 Germany. GERMANY GO THROUGH TO THE SEMI-FINALS!
- Darmian misses! Italy 5-5 Germany
- Boateng scores! Italy 5-5 Germany
- De Sciglio scores! Italy 5-4 Germany
- Kimmich scores! Italy 4-4 Germany
- Parolo scores! Italy 4-3 Germany
- Hummels scores! Italy 3-3 Germany
- Giaccherini scores! Italy 3-2 Germany
- Schweinsteiger misses! Italy 2-2 Germany
- Bonucci’s penalty is saved! Italy 2-2 Germany
- Draxler scores! Italy 2-2 Germany
- Pelle misses! Italy 2-1 Germany
- Ozil hits the post! Italy 2-1 Germany
- Barzagli scores! Italy 2-1 Germany
- Muller misses! Italy 1-1 Germany
- Zaza misses! Italy 1-1 Germany
- Kroos scores! Italy 1-1 Germany
- Insigne scores! Italy 1-0 Germany
- Italy will go first, which is usually an advantage. Lorenzo Insigne will take the first penalty.